Do you want me to let you in on a little secret? Okay, okay, don’t pull my arm… researchers at the Max Planck Institute in Berlin found that complete strangers are more likely to pinpoint someone’s age to a number lower than their actual age based off one thing: whether or not they’re smiling! Yeah, I know. Literally all you have to do is smile to appear younger. Where’s the “Easy” button when you need it? But wait… Conversely, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) emerges as the bearer of bad news by revealing that a smile with damaged or yellow teeth has an adverse effect by making you appear older. Fear not my frownless friends! Behold, here are some tips to ensure your smile is a’shinin’:
- Stay flossin’! I know, that “f” word seems to never get enough of the limelight, but the attention is justly deserved. Thomas Connelly, DDS, a cosmetic dentist over in New York City recommends flossing after every meal because floss reaches what toothbrushes and mouthwash can’t. Staying on top of your flossing ensures that plaque and other icky things don’t build up and leaves unwanted stains on your teeth, diminishing your shining smile.
- Watch what you eat and drink! Here’s a quick list of shining smile no-no’s: soda (especially diet), hard or sticky candies, other sugary foods, acidic foods like citrus, red wine, and coffee. Now, I’m not saying swear them off like the plague, but moderation is key!
- Do your teeth even lift bro? Maintaining strong, healthy teeth is crucial to a shining smile. Boosting your calcium and vitamin C intake can help with that endeavor. Here are your go-to’s for a boost in calcium: low-fat/fat-free milk, cheeses, broccoli, breads, and soy products. As for vitamin C, be on the lookout for these happy helpers: dark green leaf veggies, berries, broccoli (DOUBLE THREAT), tomatoes, and peas. Also, crunchy fruit and veggies are key, since the process of chewing them increases your saliva production, which is good for the prevention of bacteria growth.
- Teeth bleaching. You can either get it professionally done, or if you want less of a hit to your wallet, you can hone in on some DIY remedies, like Crest Whitestrips or Aquafresh trays. Dr. Connelly insists one strips and whitening toothpaste as a double-whammy, saying the toothpaste hits the outer surface of stains, whereas the strips have the time to really get in there and bleach the teeth.
- For the Ladies! An instant way to make teeth appear whiter, Gregg Lituchy, DDS, of Lowenberg & Lituchy in New York City, advises, is to wear lipsticks with blue shaded undertones, and/or darker bronzer to offset and create a starker contrast with the teeth.
Bottom line, you want that shining smile? You go get that shining smile! Remember, the number one way to a shining smile is to focus on that flossing. There’s a remedy for all!
Everyone here at Dr. Peter Wiesel's Dental office is SUPER excited to help you with all your dental needs. We pride ourselves on providing you with outstanding service and invite you to to come see why we are the Best of 2015 in Dental Care for New Jersey! Give us a call to schedule your appointment now! Contact us at 609-927-5300.